Skip to Main Content
Do Not Show Again
Create a Website Account
- Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Website Sign In
I'm Looking For
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 2/14/2021 11:07:20 AM to 2/18/2021 12:00:07 AM.
Posted on: February 14, 2021
[ARCHIVED] Conserve Energy During Winter Storm
Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is asking consumers and businesses to reduce their electricity use as much as possible Sunday, Feb. 14 through Tuesday, Feb. 16.
"We are experiencing record-breaking electric demand due to the extreme cold temperatures that have gripped Texas," said ERCOT President and CEO Bill Magness. "At the same time, we are dealing with higher-than-normal generation outages due to frozen wind turbines and limited natural gas supplies available to generating units. We are asking Texans to take some simple, safe steps to lower their energy use during this time."
Here are some tips to reduce electricity use:
- Turn down thermostats to 68-degrees.
- Close shades and blinds to reduce the amount of heat lost through windows.
- Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances.
- Avoid using large appliances (i.e., ovens, washing machines, etc.).
- Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
Given the prolonged, below-freezing temperatures, conservation measures should be implemented safely and within reason.
ERCOT has the tools and procedures in place to maintain a reliable electric system during tight grid conditions. If power reserves drop too low, ERCOT may need to declare an Energy Emergency Alert, or EEA. Declaring an EEA allows the grid operator to take advantage of additional resources that are only available during scarcity conditions.
Sign up for the ERCOT mobile app (available for download at the Apple App Store and Google Play).
Public Utility Commission of Texas Hotline – 1-888-782-8477.
Other News in What's Happening
2023 Spring/Summer Guide to Fun!
Posted on: January 26, 2023
Posted on: January 25, 2023
2023 Sachse Scholarship Now Open!
Posted on: January 10, 2023
How Do I...?
How Are We Doing?
Council Agendas / Minutes
Master Fee Schedule
Parks and Recreation Registration
Report an Oncor Power / Street Light Outage
Report Farmer's Elec Power/Str Light Outage
Weather in Sachse
Water Restrictions, Conservation, & Education
Slideshow Left Arrow
Slideshow Right Arrow