Charter Review Commission - 2022
Charter Review Commission Members
The City Council appointed the following individuals to serve on the Charter Review Commission at its February 21, 2022 regular meeting and its March 7, 2022 regular meeting:
- Charles Elk
- Paul Watkins
- Ed Brown
- Jeanie Marten
- Scott McMurdie, Chairperson
- Billy George, Vice-Chairperson
- Karlos McGhee
- Eric Dominguez
- Marty Holboke
- Marcia Harris-Daniel
- Brad Ford
- Kirk Wood
- Butch Kemper
- Jim Mathis
City of Sachse Home Rule Charter
Residents may review a copy of the City's Charter here. The Charter is also available in the City's Code of Ordinances.
Charter Review Commission Executive Summary
by Scott McMurdie, Chairperson
By resolution of the Sachse City Council on March 21, 2022 a charter review commission was formed for the purpose of completing a comprehensive review of the city charter and provide recommendations to City Council for amendments to the charter that would then be voted on by the residents of Sachse.
The commission met three times between March and June to review the charter with one final meeting on July 7, 2022 to review any final aspects of the charter. Through the process, the following items were discussed at length and then a final presentation was made to the Sachse City Council on July 18, 2022:
- All Articles were reviewed for grammar, and recommendations were made to correct grammar errors in the document.
- Additionally, it was determined and recommended that the document should be amended to be gender neutral.
- There was discussion to remove historical references within the charter that are no longer necessary as processes are well established within the city.
- Significant deliberation was held regarding the establishment of term limits for council seats as well as the mayor. There was not a consensus of thought related to term limits, however, the commission eventually voted to recommend term limits be placed on the ballot for residents of Sachse to vote on.
- The commission also discussed updating the document with current technological references allowing the city to utilize all available resources permitted by law to publish information and communicate with the residents of Sachse.
The final presentation, including a comprehensive mark-up of the document, made to the Council is available on the City’s website in the minutes of the Council meeting on July 18, 2022 as well as on the Charter Review Commission page of the City website.
Published in the Sachse News, August 4, 2022.
Charter Review Presentations to the City Council
- Monday, February 7, 2022
- Monday, February 21, 2022
- Monday, March 7, 2022
- Monday, March 21, 2022
- Monday, July 18, 2022
Email the City with Questions/Input
Want to provide input about the review process to the Charter Review Commission? Residents are invited to attend a Charter Review Commission meeting and provide input or may provide feedback through a special dedicated email address. Feedback and/or questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.