Utility Billing


  • Manages the City's utility billing function
  • Establishes new accounts
  • Answers customer inquiries
  • Processes payments
  • Providing trash and recycling service information to customers
  1. Residential New Service Application
  2. Commercial New Service Application

New Residential Service Application

Applicant name and proof of residency documentation name must be the same

Required documents

  1. $100 deposit, letter of credit or senior exemption required
    • Deposit may be processed using the Credit Card Authorization form if in-person payment is not desired
  2. Copy of valid driver's license
  3. Proof of residency
    • Lease Agreement
    • Settlement or Closing document showing buyer, seller and settlement date (Price can be redacted)
  4. Trash/recycle carts should remain with the residence for existing homes.  Report the number and color of carts found.   The City will handle delivery of carts for new construction.

Minimum 24 hour connection once all documents are received via fax, email or in-person.

  1. Disconnect or Transfer Service Request
  2. Payment Options
  3. Billing Options
  4. After-Hour Reconnection

Disconnect Service Request

  • Available Monday-Friday with 24 hour notice. Refunds (If applicable) processed within 4-6 weeks.

Transfer Service Request

  • Available from a current Sachse account to a new location in Sachse for $10.00. Customer service will review your account for deposit requirements and transfer the outstanding balance to your new location.